What to see

Fletcher's House

Park Street
Woodstock

Fletchers House plaque

(Return to list of Wall Plaques)

The Museum

In 1279 there was a house and forge here. The Fletcher family lived here from 1468 until at least 1526. Around 1609, a wealthy alderman, Thomas Browne, built a great house here, and called it Fletcher's.

In 1782, the Duke of Marlborough bought the property but five years later he sold or gave it to his agent, Thomas Walker. Walker served as the Town Clerk in Woodstock and Oxford.

The house is now part of the Oxfordshire Museum.